Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Very little sleep.

Things are a bit different around here now. I don't have as much time for knitting, that's for sure. But my daughter is incredible, so my lack of knitting time pales in comparison. Someone who had a little more time to get the needles moving is my mum. My parents visited the last couple of weeks, so that they could meet their granddaughter. I took them to Romni on Queen, and my mum had me pick out a pattern and some yarn to go with it. Then she made it. You can't see it so easily in the picture, but she made a beautiful blanket in stocking stitch with garter stitch edging, and a garter stitch heart in the middle. The heart and the top and bottom borders also have a bobble pattern. What you definately can't see is the matching cardigan that goes with it. The pattern is SIRDAR cardigan and blanket, and they're knitted in SIRDAR Snuggly Baby Bamboo DK. We went for the cream for the blanket, and the teal for the cardigan. They came out stunning. The yarn is beautiful too.

As you can see, Adelaide does sleep sometimes (although far less than I would have thought), and I do still have my Subway journey to and from work, so there is a little knitting time for me. Although my productivity has certainly slowed, I've had time to finish Beth's Fetching fingerless gloves (more on those soon), and start my Dashing fingerless gloves (more on those soon too). I've also completed my Long Lost Whitby Hat. If you remember, I told you the story of this hat. I had bought it in Whitby, North Yorkshire, when I was 13. I wore it everywhere. Never have I found a hat that I wore so consistently, and managed not to lose for so long. Nor have I ever owned another hat that my mother hated so much. In this picture (excuse the poor quality, it's scanned and blown up rather larger than the original), you can see that it became very dishevelled looking.
Nontheless, when I finally lost it in the move to Canada last year, I was distraught. I didn't know what to do with myself. I had no way of replacing this precious hat. Perhaps this is why I took up knitting. I have knit enough hats now to have a fair idea of their construction, so I started drawing up plans to reconstruct my favourite piece of headgear.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it means something to me, and I rather like it. If you fancy making one, you can have a look at the pattern here. I don't like the Google document format it's in, but I can't think of anywhere to store the PDF version online at the moment. All suggestions are welcome, as are comments on my hat. Let me know what you think.
Right, I'm off to try and catch as much sleep as I can before my adorable little bundle of joy wakes up crying.

2 comments:

Yvette said...

beautiful baby. beautiful blanket. And, yes, the hat is beautiful too if only because you love it so much. It's all so gosh darn purdy!

mark said...

Thanks Yvette - lovely to get new readers. Even lovelier to have them comment...