Thursday, March 13, 2008

Round we go...

I've been thinking. Knitting in the round produces results, but I don't think that it is really my thing. I know I've mentioned this in passing before, but this time I'm serious.
I made a pair of Fetching Fingerless Gloves for Beth, which I knit on double-pointed needles, and I've just finished my own fingerless gloves. Mine were going to be Dashing, but when I looked at the pattern, I realised that they'd need a bit of altering to suit my tastes. The almost finished right hand glove is pictured here.
I'm with Stephanie Pearl-McPhee on this one. Knitting in the round is really fantastic for a few reasons. I don't really like sewing seams up, and I'm sure when you get on to sweaters that really makes a difference. I also don't like wearing things with seams if I can avoid it. Particularly not gloves. So if I want gloves, I'm knitting in the round. That's that.
But it just takes longer! I don't care what you say, it isn't quicker. And it's awkward to hold all those needles. Circular needles are cumbersome too. And then you have to get the right length cord on them. With double points, there's more needles to lose, and more ends to stab yourself with. There's more ends to drop stitches off in your bag too. When you knit with colours in the round, you have to use two hands, which is trickier. I've heard all sorts of reasons why people like doing it, but it doesn't sit with me. Stephanie agrees with me, and claims to be the last hold out for long straight needles.

The news is broken. She's not the last hold out at all. There's two of us. And I bet there's even more.

Are you one of the lovers of straight needles? Are you irritated with knitting in the round? Are you frustrated with having to juggle more spikes than seems strictly necessary or even safe? Then you can join our support group. Or leave a comment on here to encourage other knitters anyway...

No comments: